In December 2016 the BCC provided a comprehensive submission to the ACT Government covering short and long-‐term budget items it has identified that can best serve Belconnen residents, workers and visitors.
The BCC submission has a distinct concentration on the capital infrastructure priorities the Government should consider implementing in the next four years.
While the BCC submission should be viewed through a Belconnen community lens, a number of our suggestions apply across the ACT.
As the Belconnen area straddles the electorates of Ginninderra and Yerrabi, the items suggested by the BCC are of benefit to residents of both electorates, and those who visit for work, education or recreation.
These items represent the focus of our lobbying activities for 2017/18.
BCC 2017/18 BUDGET SUBMISSION HIGHLIGHTS
- Enhancing community consultation with representative reference groups
- Updating the Belconnen Town Centre Precinct Code
- Improving parking payment at Calvary Hospital
- Mobile Coffee carts around Lake Ginninderra
- Enhancing public transport linkages from West Belconnen to prepare for growth
- Increasing bus services to reflect current and future need
- Park & Ride improvements
- Light Rail engineering study from Civic to Belconnen
- Improving bus stops on arterial roads
- Construction of a multi-‐level car-‐park in the Belconnen Town Centre.
- Smart parking technology in the Belconnen Town Centre
- Completing the Belconnen Arts Centre
- Temporary use of the Remand Centre site on Lathlain Street
- Increasing amenity in Margaret Timpson Park and around Lake Ginninderra
- Constructing a Margaret Timpson Park public toilet facility
- Beautification of Benjamin Way
- Dog waste bag dispenser at Lake Ginninderra
- William Slim Drive duplication
- Upgrade Kuringa Drive intersections in West Belconnen
- New cycleway linking Lawson to the Town Centre