The next Belconnen Community Council Special General Meeting and public forum will be held at
7.30pm, Tuesday 19 May
Community Room, upstairs at the Belconnen Library
A short agenda is:
Special General Meeting
7.30pm Welcome; call for apologies
7.35pm Vote on proposed changes to the BCC constitution
– All are welcome to attend the special general meeting, but only those who have attended a BCC meeting previously can vote on the resolution.
– The proposed changes to the BCC constitution are on our website.
– Voting will be by a show of hands. For the changes to the BCC constitution to be accepted, the resolution must receive the support of three-quarters of those present and eligible to vote. Proxy votes are not accepted.
7.50pm Chair’s report
7.55pm Update on Department of Immigration’s proposed move
8pm Presentation on Smart Parking by ACT Government officers, including Q&A
8.30pm Presentation on Canberra Cat Fix by Alexandra Craig and Michelle Doherty, including Q&A
Department of Immigration proposed move
Many of you will have seen Monday’s report and the follow-up report that local impacts will be considered when the Department of Finance makes the final decision on the future site for the Department of Immigration. Our full media release can be found here. We welcome the news and it is now more important than ever that you make your views known. We will discuss what you can do to assist at the public meeting.
Consultations and planning
* In April the BCC provided a submission on the University of Canberra Public Hospital reference design. While the BCC supports this impressive facility, we have concerns with the access on Ginninderra Drive and its lack of connection to UC. Read our submission here.
* Community feedback is being sought on a proposed food forest in Lyneham. While this isn’t in Belconnen, we believe many Belconnen residents will find the idea interesting. The consultation closes on 8 June. If you would be interested in seeing something like this in Belconnen, please get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Consultation on improving local services in West Belconnen closes on Friday, 29 May. Key themes on which views are sought include ‘A better start for children’; ‘supporting stronger families’; ’employment pathways for young people’; and ‘connecting older people in the community’. Take the short survey – your information will help improve outcomes for people in West Belconnen.
* Strathnairn Arts Centre will be holding their Open Day on 17 May where studio holders will open their studios and there will be a range of activities and food stalls. More information can be found here. The BCS shuttle bus service will also be providing transport.
* The Theatre@BCS is hosting the Tempo Theatre production of Agatha Christie’s Spider’s Web from 15 May to 23 May.
* The Belconnen Arts Centre has received funding of $8000 conditional on them separately raising $8000 – essentially every donation you make as part of this Pozible campaign will be doubled. All donations above $2 are tax deductible. Everyone who contributes – no matter the amount – will be invited to a thank you party on 11 June.
* ActewAGL is holding energy saving workshops to assist customers to learn about effective and efficient ways to conserve energy in the lead up to winter. The next one is Thursday 14 May (tomorrow) from 5.30pm to 7pm at Bunnings. Workshop attendees get a gift bag. Register your interest here.
Belconnen Community Council