The next Belconnen Community Council public forum will be held at:
7.30pm, Tuesday 21 April
Jamison Southern Cross Club, Macquarie (*not the usual location*)
A short agenda is:
7.30-7.35pm: Welcome; Chair’s Report
7.35pm-8pm: Presentation by ACT Electoral Commissioner Mr Phillip Green on the proposed redistribution of electoral boundaries
8pm-8.25pm: Presentation by ArtsACT with an update on Stage 2 of the Belconnen Arts Centre
8.30pm-9pm: Presentation by Ginninderra Falls Association on progress for Ginninderra Falls
Each presentation will include Q&A. The meeting will be chaired by Deputy Chair Matt Watts, who will be acting Chair from 21 April to 10 May.
The presentation which was unable to be screened at our February meeting on the new emergency services building at Aranda is on our website and can be viewed here: http://www.belcouncil.org.au/sites/all/files/BCC%20meeting%2017%20Feb%202015.pdf
Consultations and planning
* Submissions on the Stage 2 consultation for Copland Drive – including traffic management treatments – closed on Monday. The BCC’s submission can be viewed here.
* On Tuesday, 7 April the BCC held a ‘kitchen table conversation’ at Theatre@BCS to provide input to the Planning Minister’s Statement of Planning Intent. Thanks to the many attendees who came on a cold, wet and windy night and participated in the lively discussion. A record of the feedback at the session was provided to Government and can be found here.
* The development application to demolish the Belconnen Police Station and Remand Centre site has been approved. The ACT Government is now calling for tenders to demolish it, with work expected to start in June 2015. The site is due for release in 2016-17. More information can be found here.
* The Standing Committee on Public Accounts is conducting an inquiry into elements impacting on the future of the ACT Clubs sector. Individuals and organisations are invited to make submissions by Wednesday 13 May 2015. More information, including the terms of reference, can be found here.
* Strathnairn Arts Centre will be holding their Open Day on 17 May where studio holders will open their studios and there will be a range of activities and food stalls. More information can be found here.
* The ACT Government community noticeboard can be accessed here (one page PDF). It includes details on road closures and upgrades to roads in Gungahlin. Expressions of interest are also being sought for vacancies on the the ACT Bushfire Council.
* If you are ever interested in the crime statistics in Belconnen and the rest of Canberra, these can be found on the ACT Policing website. It also provides tips on how to reduce the risk of personal harm as a result of experiencing criminal behaviour.
* We have had a number of queries about the condition of the elm trees along Benjamin Way in the Town Centre. They are affected by an elm leaf beetle infestation. More information can be found here.
As always, please feel free to contact me with any queries or concerns. The most up to date information can be found on our website, Twitter and Facebook page.
Belconnen Community Council